Finding a job is always difficult, not just for graduates, but for everyone.
Click here to read our Student Handbook - the motivation behind this booklet is to give you some guidance on how to avoid common mistakes and to develop a successful strategy when it comes to job hunting as a graduate. It is a tough game but definitely not a mission impossible and ALGA is a very good start!
To place a job listing here contact our studio, the cost is $50.00*
Senior Adviser Site Contamination
- Ongoing contract
- SA Public Sector Employment
- Adelaide CBD Location
Summary of Duties
The Senior Adviser Site Contamination is a key senior professional in the Environment Protection Authority’s (EPA’s) Site Contamination Branch. The Senior Adviser is a highly experienced site contamination specialist, who is an independent thinker and works with limited direction. The Senior Adviser is responsible for the provision of professional advice in relation to site contamination, delivery of government funded site contamination assessment projects, and the provision of leadership and advice on issues relating to site contamination and associated statutory requirements under the Environment Protection Act 1993.
Bachelor degree in science, engineering or other recognised degree level qualification that is related to site contamination.
PO3 ($95,429 - $100,887 per annum)
Manager Site Contamination
Phone Enquiries: 08 8204 9085
Email Enquiries: Andrew.Pruszinski@sa.gov.au
For further information and how to apply please visit iworkfor.sa.gov.au and search for this role. I IWorkforSA reference number: 372381
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and people with a disability are strongly encouraged to apply. The sector is diverse and desires to increase in diversity and to create opportunities for more South Australians.
11:00pm 16 January 2020
- Manage the delivery of property environmental projects
- Provide technical expertise and advice in relation to assessment and management of contaminated land and hazardous building materials
- Parramatta Location. 12 months fixed term contract, with a view for extension.
At Sydney Water, we’re passionate about making a difference to the lives of our customers and communities.
Sydney Water has been in business for more than 130 years, but that doesn’t mean we’re complacent. We know we must keep building a business that is able to respond quickly when faced by new challenges. We’re constantly working to improve our service, and to innovate and invest in new technologies to delight our customers and protect our future.
Join us and help innovate to meet the challenges of our growing cities.
About the role
As a senior Project Manager Environmental Services, you provide technical expertise, advice and project management for the delivery of property environment projects and initiatives, that meet compliance and regulatory requirements and deliver the maximum return to Sydney Water and our customers.
Within this role, reporting into Team Manager of Environmental Services, you develop plans and manage projects with clear targets, objectives, KPl's, scope of work, milestones, risks, controls, costs and deliverables which meet the business needs and ensure the effective delivery of the project.
Key accountabilities pertaining to this role are:
- Manage the delivery of property environmental projects relating to contaminated land management (CLM), hazardous building materials (HBM), demolition of decommissioned assets and illegal dumping, encompassing the entire project management cycle
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships and provide advice as a CLM/HBM Subject Matter Expert (SME) to internal and external stakeholders
- Ensure business case and contract variations are identified, registered, validated, tracked and approved
- Report on project status including KPl's, cost, schedule, risk, safety and any variations
- Review, analyse and report on environmental consultant technical reports and scientific expert reports
- Provide support in the establishment contractor panels and follow the management strategy for consultant
- Instruct, engage and manage consultants and contractors on Sydney Water projects
- Undertake environmental due diligence assessments for proposed property acquisitions and disposals, Property Optimisation Program (POP), leasing and delivery partners
As You will also bring:
- Relevant degree qualification (e.g. environmental science, environmental management, engineering, occupational hygiene) or equivalent experience
- Environment Institute of Australia and New Zealand’s (EIANZ) Contaminated Land Assessment Specialist Certified Environmental Practitioner (CLA Specialist CEnvP) desirable.
- Licensed Asbestos Assessor (LAA) desirable.
- Project management knowledge and expertise.
- Broad experience working with and possesses a good technical understanding of the investigation, management and remediation of contaminated sites; Hazardous Building Materials (HBM) investigation, remediation and management; Environmental Management Systems and environmental legislation
- Demonstrates awareness of applicable property and environmental laws, legislations, regulatory and internal policies and controls affecting property transactions and property management undertaken
- Prepare clear project proposals and define scope and goals in measurable terms
- Establish performance outcomes and measures for key project goals, and define monitoring, reporting and communication requirements
Please see the position description for the roles full accountabilities.
You must be an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident at the time of submitting your application to be considered for this role. For more information, you can contact Adrien.firstname.lastname@example.org
Congratulations, on taking the first step toward joining one of the Bathurst Region's largest employers! Bathurst Regional Council employs over 400 staff and provides a large range of services to our community. Working for Council is a stimulating and rewarding career option, providing the opportunity to be a part of a team contributing to shaping the success and future of our Region.
About our region
Bathurst really is best of both worlds - a beautiful country lifestyle just two and a half hours from Sydney. Bathurst is Australia's oldest inland settlement located just over 200 kilometres west of Sydney on the Macquarie River. The region is conveniently located with effective transport links to Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Canberra and there is no shortage of things to see and do if you want to explore or take a lazy Sunday drive.
About the role
Bathurst Regional Council, in partnership with Lithgow City, Mid-Western Regional and Oberon Shire Councils, is seeking an environmental or engineering practitioner to deliver a regional contaminated land capacity building project.
The NSW Environment Protection Authority funded project requires the successful candidate to help councils develop local contaminated land policies, procedures and land-use information systems while advising on contaminated land management matters across the four Councils. The successful candidate will be based at Bathurst Regional Council but will be required to work from the offices of our project partners on a regular basis.
An attractive salary starting at $1679.64 per week (plus super) will be negotiated with the successful applicant depending upon qualifications and experience. This position is based on 35 hours per week with a rostered day off every three weeks. The position is a fixed-term contract that will conclude on 30 June 2022.
The successful applicant should be enthusiastic, self-motivated and have technical experience in dealing with contaminated land management and remediation. Essential criteria include holding a degree in environmental science, engineering or equivalent; a working knowledge of contaminated land legislation and how it relates to local government; and experience in project management. A current class C motor vehicle driver's license is also required.
The successful applicant will be able to use their highly developed interpersonal and communication skills to effectively build the capacity of staff within the Councils to better deal with local contaminated land issues.
- Degree in Environmental Science, Engineering or equivalent
- Working knowledge of contaminated land legislation and how it relates to Local Government
- Experience in project management
- Current Class C Driver's licence
The position requires a pre employment health assessment which includes a functional, audio and drug & alcohol screen.
Contact Officer: Anna Stapleton - 6333 6268
Hours of Work: 35 hours per week with an RDO every three weeks
Application Closing Date: Sunday, 9 February 2020 at 11:59pm
Enginurity is a specialist recruitment and search consultancy operating in the contaminated land and water sector and have been retained by New Zealand’s premier contaminated land consultancy to recruit for a number of positions.
Our client has seen continued growth driven by strong demand for their services with the addition of two new offices in Hamilton and Invercargill to add to their existing offices in Auckland, Tauranga, Wellington and Christchurch and their team growing to more than 155 staff.
This presents a unique opportunity for an Environmental Chemist or Environmental Scientist with a background in contaminated land who has a keen interest in environmental risk assessment, human health risk and environmental toxicology to work in consultancy across a wide range of contaminated land projects with high profile clients.
The role is based in our clients Auckland office of over 70 people and will be part of their contaminated land team. The role will look at specifically risk assessment (environmental and human health) in the field of contaminated land and depending on your experience will either be a technical specialist role or technical with a client business development aspect.
We are interested to hear from candidates with an Environmental Science degree, ideally to Masters in Environmental Chemistry or similar who can demonstrate:
- At least 8 years post graduate professional experience in contaminated land assessment and remediation.
- Experience or keen interest in environmental chemistry / environmental toxicology relating to risk assessment.
- Ideally some field experience (soil sampling, groundwater monitoring, construction monitoring field investigations etc) together with environmental chemistry / toxicology experience or a keen interest in environmental chemistry within the field of contaminated land.
- Experience for business development, developing client relationships would be useful, but not essential.
- EIANZ Contaminated Land Assessment Specialist Certified Environmental Practitioner (CLA Specialist CEnvP) would be desirable but not essential.
For more information or to apply, contact Dominic Henderson at Enginurity - email@example.com
- Full time position
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience
- Bonus opportunities
- Melbourne-based, located just off Monash Freeway (Mount Waverley)
Australian Environmental Auditors Pty Ltd (AEA) is seeking an experienced technical assistant for its landfill program in the Melbourne office. Due to continued growth in AEA’s Landfill division, we have a full-time position available within our landfill team.
The successful candidate should:
- possess a degree in engineering or science;
- have a minimum of 5 years experience in the environmental industry
- have experience in landfill management, landfill gas and/or leachate;
- have an understanding of landfill aftercare, landfill hydrogeology, landfill cell and cap construction;
- demonstrate a proactive and energetic approach to work, with the ability to work autonomously as well as working closely with other technical and non-technical staff;
- hold a full driving licence;
- be prepared to travel to sites within Victoria and occasionally interstate;
- possess good written and verbal communication, with some experience writing and compiling technical reports;
- demonstrate ability and confidence in relating with clients and all levels of AEA staff; and
- be an Australian citizen or hold proof of the right to work in Australia.
With a staff of 24 (with offices in Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide and Perth), AEA employs seven in-house contaminated land auditors. We conduct audits and expert services in all states and territories throughout Australia. Our experienced professionals have been involved in hundreds of audits and auditor related tasks throughout the country. We are proud to present clients with pragmatic, timely and cost-effective statutory and non-statutory auditing services.
AEA is committed to the principles and practices of Equal Opportunity and Cultural Diversity.
AEA offers team members:
- a competitive salary package commensurate with experience;
- opportunities for quarterly bonuses;
- access to ongoing training and career development opportunities;
- professional memberships;
- flexible work conditions, and
- the opportunity to contribute in a diverse and rewarding environment.
Please send applications to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Emerge Associates combines both environmental consulting and landscape architecture, with established teams and capabilities in each discipline. We have offices in Subiaco, Margaret River and Melbourne undertaking a wide range of projects nationally. We partner with our clients across Australia to create socially, environmentally and economically sustainable places of community value, ensuring the interface between the natural environment, the human environment and built infrastructure is managed by providing a considered project response.
About our role:
As the Team Leader and reporting to the Environment Manager, this role is responsible for the leadership of our Contaminated Land and Acid Sulfate Soil team. The team undertakes a wide range of projects including due diligence investigations, preliminary site investigations, detailed site investigations, remediation and validation works, hazardous materials management, site monitoring and site closure reporting.
Working closely with the Managing Director, the Principal Consultants, Senior Consultants and other Team Leaders, the role has a key focus on:
- Delivering high quality projects and advice to our clients.
- Providing support, guidance and direction to our team of contaminated land consultants.
- Workload management to ensure timely delivery of projects within budget.
- Financial performance of the team within the overall objectives of the business.
- Team resource management, including recruiting and career development.
- Business development, leveraging existing relationships to promote new business opportunities and developing new client and business opportunities.
- Providing strategic input into business operations.
The skills we need:
- Tertiary qualifications in either Environmental Engineering or Environmental Science, preferably with an Earth Science focus.
- Substantial experience in Contaminated Land and Acid Sulphate Soils or related field suitable to provide technical guidance and oversight for contaminated land projects.
- Demonstrated experience delivering complex contaminated site management projects.
- Experience recruiting, mentoring and providing project level technical guidance to others.
- Strong project management skills of medium to large sized projects.
- A proven track record in identifying business development opportunities and areas for growth.
What can we offer the ideal candidates?
This role presents a genuine opportunity to lead and drive projects with in an established team in the increasingly essential area of contaminated lands and acid sulfate soils within an established employee owned consulting firm.
Emerge Associates is a dynamic business with a culture oriented around exceptional client service and genuinely enjoying what we do, we have an awesome office environment where you can achieve great results. We are committed to our organisational values and have a strong focus on career development.
If this sounds like the role for you, then we would like to hear from you. Please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com
*Role only available to people with work rights in Australia
*ex-GST. Ad will run until the position is placed.
Gaining work experience and/or trying to navigate a career path upon completing university can be daunting.
To support students in the environmental science space, ALGA is happy to provide, to its current Student Members and Unemployed Members, a post board where prospective employers are able to view your CV and contact you directly.
Please contact our office +61 2 4485 1136 or 1300 780 719 for details on how to get your information posted, alternatively email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Internship / Work Experience wanted
I’m looking for a job with an environmental NFP, which is the only work I’ve wanted to do since I was a teenager. But I’ve been knocked back from about thirty job applications over the past year because I was lacking one key skill or another, and so I decided to do a mass mail-out of my credentials to see what would come back.
Even if you don’t have a role available (or because you're entirely staffed by volunteers), if you could point me in the right direction or put me in touch with someone who could hire me, I would be grateful. This really is the only work I’m interested in, and I want to spend every working day for the rest of my life caring for the environment.